002 004 008 009 013 014 015 016

Welcome to Lightship 12 NOORD HINDER’s website

Lichtschipok“Once an identification mark in the North Sea, helping seamen to establish their position at sea while at the same time warning seamen of dangerous sand banks along Zeeland’s coast”.

Due to modern navigational aids, the lightship is no longer active at sea and is now a museum ship located in the harbour of Hellevoetsluis.

LogoNHWS

 

 

 

 

 

 

UKgratis

Dutch lightships had crew on board until 1981..
The members of the crew consisted of a captain, first mate, a marine engineer, a ship’s cook, an ordinary seaman and lighthouse keeper and a motorman/lighthouse keeper.

F003Generally, the tasks involved consisted of daily ship maintenance, on deck as well in the machine room. For example, monitoring the lightship’s operations and ensuring the safety of both the crew and the ship with a continuously manned “lookout”. Keeping an eye on ships nearby was essential.

Also the crew’s job was to record observational data for the K.N.M.I
(The Royal Netherlands Meteorological Institute)
The data was sent by code to the mainland. The mainland received this data daily as weather reports.

At first, the crew was replaced once a month and later on once every two weeks.
A lighthouse tender of the Dienst der Betonning (Buoyage Service) made crew trips in which the crew on board was replaced by a new one.
The ship’s provisions were stocked during what was known as the “replacement”.

The first lightship, the Nore, was actually a “fire beacon” ship and was laid up at the mouth of the River Thames in 1731.
The “light”, a fire beacon, was hoisted up the mast in a basket.
The first Dutch lightship was laid up at the location Noord-Hinder in 1858. A number of lightships were to follow.

The shipyard “De Waal” built the Noord Hinder in Zaltbommel in 1963.
In 1981 the lightship 12 “Noord-Hinder” was renovated by shipyard Hoogenraad & Kuyt in Scheveningen.
During this renovation, the Kromhout diesel engines were replaced by four 4-cylinder water-cooled “Samofa” diesel engines, each having 40 HP.
After the aft mast was removed, a helicopter deck was added to the stern. Furthermore, all work involving the handling of the light and the nautophone (fog horn) as well as the engines was automated and could now be operated from the mainland radiographically.
The cardanic suspension optical apparatus was replaced by a fixed optical apparatus.
The steering mechanism was removed and the rudder fastened.
Plaat de waal 1963In short, after Lightship 12 “Noord-Hinder” was renovated, it no longer needed a crew on board and could be anchored into position.
When needed, maintenance crews could be dropped by helicopter onto the helicopter deck using the ship’s hoist.
The Lightship 12 was docked at Texel from September 1983 to August 1987 and from January to May 1992.
The “Samofa” engines were replaced in 1992 by three air-cooled diesel “Deutz” engines. .
On 21 March 1994 the Lightship 12 was the last Dutch lightship to be removed from sea. Due to modern navigational aids on board sea vessels, it no longer was needed at sea and was laid up in Hellevoetsluis.
At the former position of the “Noord-Hinder” is now a beacon with the letters NHR equipped with RACON, a radar transponder.

On 21 March 1994, the Lightship 12 “Noord-Hinder”, retired due to modern navigational aids at sea, returned for the last time from sea to be laid up in Hellevoetsluis.

Some former staff members of the Vaarwegmarkeringsdienst (buoys service management) of the Directoraat Generaal Scheepvaart en Maritieme Zaken (directorate general shipping and maritime affairs) of the Ministry of Transport, Public Works and Water Management and other interested parties, became involved in this unique ship’s future.

DSC 0051The association Lightship 12 “NOORD HINDER” was established after the board of the Vaarwegmarkeringsdienst had agreed to help out with the project and the municipality of Hellevoetsluis was willing to financially support it.DSC 0083

 

 

 

On 7 September 2007, Rijkswaterstaat (an executive agency of the Ministry of Transport, Public Works and Water Management) handed the ship over to Hellevoetsluis.

The association’s goal: to preserve the Lightship 12 “NOORD HINDER” as a maritime cultural heritage monument for future generations and to open its doors to the public as a museum ship.

Contact

For group tour appointments and information:
Telephone: +31 657 575 792

Visiting address:
Koningskade 4,
3221 CC Hellevoetsluis


Postal address:
Postbus 1014
3220 BA Hellevoetsluis
E-mail: info@noordhinder.nl

Opening times

Hellevoetsluis

anbi logo Volg ons op Facebook YT

logo bezoek hellevoetsluis

Shop info !

For the occasion of the Noord Hinder's Golden Jubilee, we have had special postal stamps printed and selected two very fine French wines (white and red).  
These items are for sale in our ship's shop on board the Noord Hinder / in the Online shop. Now also stamps for 2018!

zegel ls

Visit our shop (Dutch)